BELPER TOWN COUNCIL – VACANCY FOR RESPONSIBLE FINANCIAL OFFICER
Overview: Belper Town Council serves Belper and the neighbouring villages of Milford, Makeney, Farnah Green and Blackbrook. There are 16 Councillors representing 22,000 people. The Council's precept for 2019/20 is £284,271.
The Council meets monthly on the second Tuesday of each month for full council. The Council is responsible for the Herbert Strutt Charity, some street furniture, some public open spaces including the Memorial Gardens, the Market Place and monthly market, the Coppice and Gibfield Lane Car Parks, the provision of grit bins, the Town's flowers beds and floral displays and Christmas Lights.
The Council employs 7 staff. The Council is based at the St Johns Chapel, The Butts, Belper.
The role: The Responsible Financial Officer (RFO) will effectively manage and monitor the Council's finances, advise the Council on a financial strategy that meets its finance and policy objectives and ensure that its accounts and administrative procedures comply with the requirements of Accounts and Audit and other relevant Regulations.
To be responsible to the Town Clerk and provide financial, administrative and clerical support to the Town Clerk.
Requirements: Applicants should demonstrate competent IT skills, have strong knowledge of SAGE, Filing of VAT returns, PAYE RTI submission knowledge is essential and the ability to work unsupervised and meet deadlines. The applicant would ideally hold but not essential a qualification in AAT or ACCA.
Working arrangement: The post is 20 hours per week. The post is based at the Council's Office (St Johns Chapel, The Butts, Belper).
Rate of Pay: The salary is pro rata NALC/SLCC Scale LC2 new SCP 18 - 32 (£24,313 - £34,788 FTE) dependent on experience.
Previous applicants need not apply.
Closing date: for applications is Friday 1st November 2019 5pm. Interviews to be held week commencing Monday 18th November 2019.
Hilton Parish Council - Appointment of Clerk
Overview: Hilton is a village in the South Derbyshire District of Derbyshire. According to the 2011 census the parish had a population of 7,714 with the latest estimate being 8333. The village is located 6 miles from Burton on Trent and 8 miles from Derby.
The parish council received a precept of £170,000 in 2018/19 rising to £172,900 for 2019/20.
The electoral roll is approximately 5804.
The clerk to the council is the Proper Officer and employee of the council and as such is under a statutory duty to carry out all the functions of a local authority's Proper Officer, and in particular to serve or issue all the notices required by law of the Proper Officer of the council.
The clerk is employed through Hilton Parish Council and is responsible for three other members of staff, one groundsman and two lengsthmen and the running of the parish council office. They will work alongside a Responsible Financial Officer for an initial period of 3/6 months before incorporating this role in their duties depending upon experience.
The council manages several football pitches, an astro turf pitch as well as a children's playground. The council consists of nine newly elected parish councillors. Hilton Parish Council meets on the last Wednesday of each month throughout the year.
Requirements: You will need to be computer literate, and competent in administration and basic book keeping. You must also demonstrate good time management, organisational and communication skills. Supervisory experience would be an advantage as well as evidence of voluntary work and a strong commitment to local community.
The council are ideally seeking to employ a forward looking and experienced administrator. Support and training in legislation relating to the appropriate working of a parish council will be provided to the successful applicant should this be required.
- To ensure that legal, statutory and other provisions, governing or affecting the running of the council are observed. To keep accurate financial records of invoices, payment of accounts and including banking. Other financial aspects such as HMRC payments, setting the council budget, liaising with the auditors, preparing the end of year accounts / Wages etc will be managed initially by the RFO.
- To facilitate and attend all council meetings including the preparation of the agenda, minutes and publication of notices.
- To implement council decisions and obligations.
- To manage council staff and all activities relating to employees.
- To manage the sports facilities i.e. taking bookings, ensuring that users are aware of their obligations under the booking arrangements.
- To monitor Council policies and prepare policies for review and adoption.
- To ensure the councils obligations to insure are properly met.
- To receive correspondence and documents on behalf of the council and to deal with such items and/or bring them to the attention of the council.
- To advise of the practicability and likely effects of specific courses of action considered by the council.
- To act under the direction of the council as their representative as required.
- To be responsible as an officer and employee under the Health and Safety at Work Act for his/her safety at work and to take reasonable care for his/her health and safety at work and that of other persons who may be affected by his/her act or omissions at work.
- To monitor and maintain GDPR data compliance.
- To maintain and manage the Parish Council Website, Facebook page and public notice boards.
- To produce a monthly report for inclusion in the Local Directory.
The post is part time (15 hours per week) and the hours are flexible and will include evening hours. This will be reviewed as the role develops. There will be a 3/6 month probationary period depending upon experience.
The clerk is required to attend the monthly meetings of the council and other meetings as necessary. The clerk's usual place of work will be the parish council offices in Hilton.
Salary: LC2 Scale 24-28 pro-rata depending on experience and qualifications. (£14.50 - £16.31 per hour).
To discuss the post further please call the Chairman, Charles Cuddington on 01283 732671.
Application: should be made by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and must include a Curriculum Vitae and a covering letter showing how previous experience and skills meet the needs of the role. Names and contact details of two referees must be included.
The closing date for applications is 4th November 2019. The successful applicant will hopefully start in post on 2nd December 2019.
Darley Dale Town Council: Assistant to the Town Clerk/ Administrator
The core role is to assist the Town Clerk in ensuring that the Town Council is correctly run according to Local Government regulations and legislation. Occasional weekend and evening work will be required by prior arrangement.
The role comprises: Committee services
- To assist in drawing up Council and other agendas, and to be responsible for producing agendas for those meetings for which you Clerk.
- Clerk meetings of the Town Council, in the absence of the Town Clerk, and other meetings and working groups as required. Take appropriate follow-up action from meetings and carry out all decisions made on behalf of members when required and in liaison with the Clerk.
- Maintain current knowledge of planning applications and ensure that the planning records are kept up to date.
- To assist the Town Clerk/RFO, to complete the Annual Return for the external auditors and make available all papers for the public as legally required. Publish notices as legally required.
- To assist the Town Clerk in fund raising and project management.
- Assisting the Clerk to carry forward projects on behalf of the Town Council, reporting back at regular intervals, monitoring progress, and taking action where necessary.
- In conjunction with the Town Clerk, to propose projects to the Town Council in accordance with budget requirements.
- Assist the Clerk in the management of Town Council events and functions.
- Liaise with other organisations and authorities as necessary.
- To support the Town Clerk in ensuring best practice is maintained at all times, including reviews of policy, procedures, Standing Orders and Financial Regulations, when required.
- To maintain the Asset register.
- To manage/record incoming post / emails / phone calls and action accordingly.
- To deal with general enquiries from members of the public, referring where necessary to the Clerk. Ensuring all messages are properly logged and passed on to the Town Clerk.
- Be computer literate and competent and maintain the Town Council's website and develop and maintain social media requirements.
- Liaise with Councillors.
Note The post holder may be required to perform duties other than those given in the job description for the post. The particular duties and responsibilities attached to the post may vary from time to time without changing the general character of duties or the level of responsibility entailed.
Working arrangement: Based at the Whitworth Centre, Darley Dale, working alongside the clerk, the hours of work to be flexible 5-10 hours per week.
Salary: SCP Scale is pro rata 1-4 (9.02 - £9.58 p.h.)
Application : Please email your CV and letter of application to the Clerk at email@example.com .Please check the Darley Dale Town Council website for the job description and person specification.
The closing date: for receipt of applications is Monday 11th November 2019.
Interviews: will be held week commencing 18th November 2019.
Blackwell Parish Council - Vacancy for Part-time Administrative Assistant
Overview: The Administrative Assistant will co-ordinate the smooth running of the three Community Centres within the Parish (Newton, Hilcote and Blackwell).The role will include undertaking associated administrative and financial tasks, such as Booking Forms, and Invoicing as well as providing administrative support to the Parish Clerk.
Requirements: An excellent knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook is essential.
Working arrangement: The role is office based for 10 hours per week (worked flexibly)
Salary: SCP 9 - £10.57 per hour
Application: Please apply for an application pack to:
Clerk to Blackwell Parish Council
Blackwell Community Centre
CLOSING DATE: Monday 28th October 2019
Hathersage Parish Council:
Overview: Hathersage Parish Council requires an Assistant Clerk to provide support to the Parish Clerk in all aspects of the Parish Council's work.
This will involve a varied range of clerical/secretarial duties including assisting in the preparation and distribution of agendas; room booking; minute taking; dealing with correspondence (mostly electronically); record keeping; reporting issues to District and County Council officers; assisting with Burial Ground administration; checking and updating the website content; liaising with Parish Councillors, a number of community groups and individual members of the public. At all times a professional, courteous and efficient manner is essential.
Requirements: Good administrative, communication, and interpersonal skills are essential. A flexible and 'can do' approach is also essential. A reasonable level of IT skills is necessary. Some knowledge of Parish Council work would be an advantage, although training and guidance will be given.
Salary: The post holder will be paid at scale New SCP4 - currently £9.58 per hour
Working arrangement: On average 5 hours per week (this may vary seasonally). The post holder will work mainly from their own home. Attendance at some evening and daytime meetings will be required but the actual hours of the day worked are otherwise relatively flexible.
Application: If you would be interested to apply, please request a Job Description, Person Specificiation and Application Form or see the Parish Council's website vacancies page.
Contact – Steve Wyatt, Clerk to Hathersage Parish Council firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 07 432 422 470.
The closing date for applications is 29th November 2019.
Brampton Parish Council - Clerk & RFO Vacancy
Overview: Brampton Parish Council serving the villages of Cutthorpe, Old Brampton and Wadshelf to the west of Chesterfield are seeking to a appoint a new Clerk and RFO, due to the relocation of their current Clerk.
Working arrangement: The job is approximately 9 hours per week and will include attendance at an evening meeting; though most of the work is flexible and can be carried out at home.
Salary: The Pay is in accordance with Local Government Pay Scales from 5 to 17 (£9.77 to £12.39per hour)
Applications are strictly by application form and this along with the Job Description and Person Specification can be found on our website www.bramptonparishcouncil.org
The closing date is 11 November 2019
Sawley Parish Council
Vacancy for a Parish Clerk and Responsible Financial Officer
Overview: Sawley Parish Council is a small but progressive and active Council. Our previous Clerk has unfortunately recently resigned her position due to personal family reasons.
Sawley, located within the Borough of Erewash, Southeast Derbyshire has an electorate of around 5100.
The Parish Council has 11 Councillors. The Council meets 10 times per annum on the fourth Tuesday of each month starting at 7pm, and the Clerk must attend these meetings. The total annual Council budget is over £50,000.
Requirements: The post of Parish Clerk and Responsible Financial Officer can be demanding and duties will require evening and occasional weekend working. The ideal candidate will be an excellent communicator, with a 'can do' attitude, who can demonstrate a proven record in administrative and financial management. Good business acumen is essential. For more details see Job and Person descriptions.
The successful candidate should possess a Certificate in Local Council Administration (CiLCA) or be willing to work towards obtaining it within a specified period. Candidates with previous local government experience, including knowledge of the parish council sector, will be especially welcome. However, if you feel you have transferable skills from another sector we would like to hear from you.
Working arrangement:The Clerk must be able to work from home, for which an allowance will be paid, however the Clerk may be asked to work from Sawley on occasions as required.
A laptop, printer and mobile 'phone will be provided.
Hours are 8-10 a week – to be reviewed after 3 months in post.
Salary: Starting Salary (LC2 point 18-23 £12.64 to £14.03 / per hour (£24,313-£26,999 pro rata) depending on experience.
The position will be available with effect from 1st January 2019.
The closing date for applications is midnight on 25th November 2019.
Interviews will take place on the evening of Tuesday 3rd December 2019.
West Hallam Parish Council
Appointment of Parish Clerk & Responsible Financial Officer
Overview: Following the resignation of its current Clerk, West Hallam Parish Council wishes to appoint a Parish Clerk and Responsible Financial Officer.
The Council comprises nine Parish Councillors and the Parish Council meets monthly throughout the year, normally on the second Monday of each month, with no meeting taking place in August. The Council may be prepared to change its meeting day for the right candidate.
Requirements: The Council is ideally looking for someone with previous experience in this kind of role, with drive and enthusiasm and a real interest in serving and being involved in the local community. Add to this good administration, IT and communication skills and you could be the person we're looking for.
The Parish Council would support a suitable candidate in meeting necessary training requirements. Ideally, the candidate will be CiLCA qualified or willing to work towards this qualification once in post.
Working arrangement: This is a part time post (currently 40 hours per month, though could be negotiable) working mainly from home.
Attendance at some evening meetings is required.
The salary is expected to be within Local Council Scales LC2 scale (Spinal Column Points 18-23 pro-rata) depending upon experience – approximately £12.64 -£14.03 per hour - plus an allowance (currently £17.33 per month) for use of home as an office. A laptop will be provided and a 'mobile phone allowance will be made.
If you have any questions about the role you may contact the Clerk by email: email@example.com or Tel: 07986 740189. Alternatively you can email the Chairman of the Parish Council, Councillor Mrs Carol Hart, at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Closing date: Applications deadline is midnight on Thursday 28 November 2019. Interviews will be held in week commencing 9 December with a view to appoint Clerk & RFO starting on 1st January 2020