The Derbyshire Association (DALC) represents over 190 Parish and Town Council and Parish Meetings in the county. Our aim is to protect and promote the interests, rights, functions and privileges of members in the performance of their duties and we strive to promote a widespread and well-informed interest in local government. The Association is a member of the National Association of Local Councils (NALC).
Who we are
DALC is a not for profit membership organisation representing the parish and town councils of Derbyshire. It provides information about the operation and powers of parish and town councils, and parish meetings. It works to enhance communication with everyone within the Parish Council network, ranging from the National Association (NALC), through our Association at county level, to all those parish councils, town councils and parish meetings who form the grass roots tier of local government. As a membership association it is unable to deal with queries from members of the public, but is happy to make general information available through this website.
Membership is open to any parish or town council or parish meeting which pays an annual subscription to the Association.
Chief Officer: Wendy Amis
Administrator: Glen Ingham
What we do (Member Benefits)
DALC is constituted to support local councils and parish meetings in the delivery of services to their communities. As it is not a statutory body it has no powers or duties to intervene in the operation of individual councils.
- Advice and information to member councils for them to use as they deem appropriate, on a range if subjects including: Legal advice service; Employment advice service; Advice on council administration; Policy consultation and advice; National Circulars and Information Bulletins; LAIS (Local Authorities Information Service)
- Telephone helpline
- Training - The Association runs a programme of training courses to equip clerks and councillors.
- National affiliation - Membership of the Association can also provide affiliation to the National Association of Local Councils (NALC) which seeks to represent local councils at national level as well as providing advice on legal and procedural matters, national publications and regular information bulletins.
- Local Council Awards Scheme - DALC administers this national awards scheme for Councils in Derbyshire.
- Administers the Transparency Fund
All queries from member councils should initially be placed with DALC by e-mail, telephone or post, and this should be done through the Chairman/Vice-Chairman or Clerk. DALC staff are available to not only answer queries, but also to deliver training where their specialised knowledge is required.
How we make decisions - Executive Committee
DALC is governed by an Executive Committee made up of elected members from councils in DALC membership in each of the district/borough areas and the County Council. The current Chair of the Association is Cllr Sheila Jackson of Castle Gresley Parish Council.
DALC is an unincorporated membership association and is not a public sector body. DALC is funded by member council subscription and training fees.
Almost 95% of parish and town councils in Derbyshire are in membership of the Association. This means that their voice is heard on local issues and at national level. It is hoped that all local councils will join the Association to avail themselves of the support available to them in these changing times for local government.